Send Text and Multimedia Message Using Google Hangouts – Google Hangouts is a communication platform developed by Google that includes instant messaging, video chat, SMS and VOIP features.
Google Hangouts can replace three messaging products that Google carried out simultaneously in its services, including Google Talk, Google+ Messenger (formerly: Huddle), and Hangouts, a video chat system present on Google+. Below is a way to message text and images on Google hangouts:
How to send text messages (SMS / MMS)
- Open Hangouts on your Android device. There are three ways to send text from Hangouts:
- Add telephone numbers directly. Touch the write icon to open a new Hangout. You can type the phone number in the search box at the top of the screen, and the “Send to” option will appear. After finishing typing the number, touch the number under “Send SMS to”. After sending an SMS, you can save the number to the contact by touching the number then touching Add to Person. Then, you can choose whether to create a new contact or add to an existing contact.
- You can browse contacts or choose from the contact list. Touch the write icon to open a new Hangout, then browse to the contact’s name or select from the contact list. Then, select the telephone number that you want to send the message to.
- Select contacts from the conversation list. Touch someone’s name at the top, then you can choose to send an SMS from the drop-down item.
- If the contact is not on Hangouts but has a phone number, you will see an SMS icon with the contact’s profile photo. After selecting a contact, type the message you want to send. Then touch the send icon.
How to send multimedia messages (MMS)
- After selecting a contact for text messages, you can also add multimedia to the message.
- On the right side of the message box, touch the camera icon to send photos or videos.
- A window will appear, which provides several ways to add multimedia: taking photos, recording videos, or attaching existing photos.
- Select the option you want.
- You can also type messages in the box if you haven’t already done so.
- Then touch the send icon.
To switch between viewing text messages or multimedia messages and Hangouts messages, touch the name of the contact at the top of the conversation.